Monday, December 10, 2012

VMware tools Upgrade/Install fails with ERROR 1304


Recently I was asked for assistance with a VMware Tools upgrade issue. The tools upgrade on a couple of VMs (one running Windows Server 2000 and the other running Windows Server 2003) was failing with the below messages.



Error 1304
Error writing to file C:\\WINNT\system32\mfcm80.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory.
(Or )
Error 1304
Error writing to file C:\\WINNT\system32\wbem\vmStatsProvider.mof. Verify that you have access to that directory.

Resolution


It appeared to be a simple issue and I expected to find a solution on the web. But to my surprise there was not one site which talked about this issue. I narrowed it down to the McAfee Antivirus software.
To fix this issue, I had to disable (I repeat - DISABLE) the ACCESS PROTECTION in the VirusScan Console (shown below) during the upgrade.


It is a simple fix, but I wanted to blog about it since it was not documented on the web.

Update:
VMware has indeed released an article this week for the above issue.
VMware Tools installation fails when McAfee Antivirus is in Maximum Protection mode

No comments:

Post a Comment